The key to mold prevention and control is controlling the moisture in your home. If there is a water leak, spill or flood that affects your residence, and goes unattended, mold will most likely form after 48 hours. It’s important to take the proper ongoing steps to control moisture in your home to help prevent mold growth.
The following are some tips to help control moisture and mold:
- Be sure to clean and repair roof gutters on a regular basis
- Keep your air conditioning drip pans clean
- Keep your indoor relative humidity below 60 percent (preferably between 30 to 50 percent). This can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter which can be found at your local hardware store.
- If you see moisture or condensation collecting on walls, windows or pipes, act swiftly to dry the wet surface and reduce the water source.
- Vent appliances that are prone to produce moisture such as stoves, clothes dryers and kerosene heaters. These can increase the humidity in your home unless vented to the outside.
- When showering run the bathroom fan or open the window
- When running the dishwasher or cooking on the stove or oven, use exhaust fans or open windows
- Use de-humidifiers and air conditioners as needed
Mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in windows, roofs or pipes, or where there has been flooding. If mold is growing in your home, you need to clean up the mold and FIX the moisture problem. At MAVEN Construction Group we have licensed Mold Remediators (MRSR2344) who can help you eliminate mold in your home and fix the moisture problems that are causing it. If you have an unexpected water leak, spill or flood take action quickly so that it doesn’t result in a mold problem. Learn more about mold prevention and removal and how a licensed professional can assist you with your mold and moisture problem.