General Contractor Lic #CGC1519003 - Mold Remediation Lic #MRSR2344

Electrical fires are one of the most destructive and harmful types of fire affecting residential and commercial properties throughout North Central Florida. These fires can happen at any time and spread quickly, engulfing everything around them in flames and soot and often resulting in severe property damage and serious costs to human and animal health. In some situations, electrical fires can result in death.

There are several factors that can contribute to an electrical fire, including old, damaged, or worn-out wiring, faulty electrical outlets or plugs, circuit overloads, old appliances, light fixtures, and portable electrical heaters. Here, our Gainesville restoration experts discuss the most common causes of electrical fires and share how to avoid them best and prevent resulting fire damage. Contact us today to request a quote for fire damage restoration.

Worn-Out Wiring

One of the most common causes of electrical Florida house fires is fault or worn-out wiring. Outdated or damaged wiring can easily cause an electrical fire. If your home or commercial property was built more than 20 years ago, it might not have the wiring capacity required to handle increased amounts of electrical appliances and plug-in products, like air conditioners, televisions, gaming consoles, computers, and more, in today’s average homes and businesses. In an ideal situation, the breaker will trigger when the circuits overload with electricity, but if the breaker is damaged or outdated, it can result in an electrical fire.

Faulty Electrical Outlets

Faulty sockets and outlets are other highly common causes of electrical fires. This occurs when the electrical outlets or sockets are not properly grounded. Over time, the wiring behind sockets and outlets becomes worn, and the wires loosen, and should they break, a fire can occur. If you notice signs of hidden electrical issues, such as frequently overloaded circuit breakers, flickering lights, intermittent power outages, electrical devices or household appliances that feel very hot when turned on, shocks or sparks from outlets, or unexplained electrical burning smells, your property may be at risk of an electrical fire.

Electrical Circuit Overloads

How many extension cords do you have plugged into your outlets? How many chords are plugged into them? If you’re not cautious and restrict your use of extension cords, your property could be at risk of a major electrical fire. As a general rule, all appliances should be plugged directly into the wall outlet. Do not plug any appliance into an extension cord for any length of time. If your property does not have the appropriate type of outlets required for the use of appliances, you should contact a reputable local electrician to install new outlets and ensure the wiring is up to standard.

Old Appliances

Many homeowners and business owners love vintage and antique items, with their eclectic charm and nostalgic appearance. While antiques and vintage treasures can enhance an interior space, stick with items that aren’t electrical. Old appliances with frayed cords or faulty wiring can be easy to catch fire. Old appliances often have old insulation installed within them, which is highly flammable. Older appliances pose the risk of not being up to standard with regard to wattage usage, material composition, and safety regulations. Additionally, if any appliances are plugged into extension cords, there is a high risk of electrical fire.

Light Fixtures

Light fixtures, lamps, and bulbs used within them are other common causes of electrical fires. Pay attention to the wattage reading on your lamp or light fixture. If you install a light bulb with a wattage that is too high for the fixture or lamp, there is a heightened risk of fires. In fact, exceeding the recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp is among the leading causes of electrical fires. Additionally, placing cloth or paper over your lampshade can cause a fire as the material ignites. Lamps and light fixtures with faulty mechanisms or wires also frequently result in fires.

Call Our Gainesville Contractors For Fire Restoration

Knowing the potential causes of electrical fires in your home or business is the first step in preventing them. When electrical fires occur, they are particularly hazardous due to the rapid spread of the flames and the fact that many items in a structure are highly flammable or combustible. The key factor in successfully managing and putting out an electrical fire is to identify the source and cut power off from the property as soon as you are able while also avoiding any contact with electrical elements by using special protective equipment.

Do you need help from our Gainesville contractors after an electrical fire? For more than 15 years, Maven Construction Group has served our local community, providing professional fire damage restoration services for residential and commercial properties. We perform all the work, from cleanup to reconstruction, self-funding each project, and working with your insurance company to process your claim. Contact our restoration and remediation experts for prompt fire restoration 24 hours a day, seven days a week!

Trusted, Experienced Professionals

Locally owned and operated in Gainesville, FL, Maven Construction Group is a licensed general contractor, Angie’s List Certified Contractor, and is accredited and A-rated by the Better Business Bureau. Maven has delivered the best damage restoration and reconstruction services in North Central Florida for more than 15 years.

Certified General Contractor Lic # CGC1519003 Certified Mold Remediation Lic # MRSR2344