Disasters Don’t Take Holidays — Prepare For & Prevent Damage From Water, Mold & Fire
Disaster can strike when you least expect it, and certain safety hazards tend to spike during the holiday season with so many preoccupations surrounding us. Fire and water damage are two of the most common and troublesome mishaps that occur. The Gainesville restoration specialists of Maven Construction Group would like to offer our advice on how to prevent and prepare for the unimaginable this holiday season.
Structure Fires & Restoration
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), structure fires were responsible for $10.3 billion in property damage in 2015. At Maven Construction Group, we specialize in fire damage restoration to restore your property after a disaster, however, it’s always best to try and prevent disasters.
- Plug in only one high-wattage appliance at a time to avoid overloading.
- Do not pinch extension cords between furniture and other tight areas to avoid shock or damage to the wires.
- Remove any flammable objects on or around a chimney when in use.
- Turn pan and pot handles inwards to prevent accidents in the kitchen and never leave cooking appliances unattended when in use.
Have A Plan For Fires
No matter how many precautions are taken, it is important to always be prepared in case things take a turn for the worse. According to the NFPA, only one-third of Americans have prepared for a fire by both developing and practicing an escape plan.
- Test smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries yearly.
- Set up at least two escape routes from every room.
- Designate a meeting area away from any danger.
- Practice escaping a fire at least twice a year.
Water Damage & Prevention
What is easier than hiring water restoration companies that have extensive training with water damage restoration? Preventing water damage! Maven has the tools and experience necessary to offer cost-effective clean-up solutions due to water damage but we want to help you avoid any unnecessary disaster restoration this holiday season.
- Clean out roof gutters to avoid uneven spillage around your foundation. This can be done before you hang up your holiday lights or host your annual bash.
- Inspect and repair any missing or damaged shingles on your roof.
- Check for any dark stains under pipes, sinks and ceilings that could be caused by dripping water.
- If leaks are found on water heaters, air conditioning units or pipes, repair them immediately or contact a professional.
Mold Assessment & Removal
Mold is caused by moisture and is often a consequence of water damage. Mold is also a prominent issue in humid climates such as Florida, even in the winter months. Be alert for signs of water leakage, such as water spots, peeling paint, rust or an irregular water bill, that could result in the creation of mold. Maven offers mold assessment and mold remediation services for both residential and commercial buildings.
Disaster Restoration Specialists in Gainesville, FL
The holidays are a time for enjoyment, not for worrying about repairs and restorations. Take some time from your busy schedule to take precautions to avoid fire, water and mold damage this holiday season. Maven Construction Group is Gainesville’s one-stop service for disaster restoration with experts on water & mold restoration, fire damage, storm & wind damage, and roof repairs & reconstruction. Contact us for 24/7 emergency service.