Nobody thinks a house fire will happen to them, but unfortunately house fires are common. Equally common are the causes. Maven Construction Group provides quality fire damage restoration Gainesville residents know and trust.
Whether you cook once in awhile or routinely host dinner parties for friends and family, cooking presents many fire hazards. Unattended pots and pans on the stove or in the oven, using hot oil to fry food, and cooking equipment with frayed electrical cords can all cause a fire. If your home’s kitchen or cooking area needs fire damage reconstruction in Gainesville, call Maven Construction Group.
Grilling is a pastime for many people, but it’s easy to become complacent. Remember to keep the grill at least several feet away from your home, deck, and trees. And even if your grill doesn’t get as much use as you’d like, remember to regularly check it for rust, corrosion, and proper gas line connections.
Fire pits are common in backyards throughout North Central Florida, but these landscaping features pose a risk to your home. A fire pit should be placed and/or installed in a flat, open area and always have a fire screen. Before wrapping up an evening around your fire pit, make sure all embers are extinguished.
Almost all smoking-related fires beginning in the home come from upholstered furniture, bedding, and/or mattresses catching fire from someone who fell asleep while smoking. Another cause of smoking-related house fires is throwing a cigarette butt into a trash can without soaking it in water first.
Though we don’t have extreme cold during winter months as northern climates, many homes use home heating equipment when the mercury drops. If you rely on a portable space heater in a room or area rarely used, keep it at least three feet from combustible objects like drapes and furniture. Any space using a space heater should also be well ventilated.
Fireplaces can make a home cozy, but if not properly maintained, present a fire hazard. Use or install a spark screen and/or glass door to prevent stray sparks or logs from rolling into the surrounding area. And before lighting your fireplace with the first winter breeze, have the chimney checked, and if necessary, cleaned to prevent buildup of flammable creosote.
Though modern wood stoves are more efficient and safer than their predecessors of yesteryears, they aren’t the set it and forget it type. As with a fireplace and space heater, wood stoves should be operated with supervision, kept away from flammable objects, and in a well ventilated area.
Thin, flexible, and usually out of sight, appliance cords are often overlooked until there’s an issue. An appliance cord at the end of its use will fray around the connection and expose internal wires, posing a fire risk. Appliance cords are common in homes and businesses, but should never be put under rugs, carpeting, or furniture. However, if your business experiences a fire due to a frayed appliance cord, let Maven Construction Group it back to normal through our commercial fire damage restoration.
Candles add a layer of ambiance any day of the year, but are more prevalent during the holidays. Unfortunately, candles are often left unattended and caused more than 9,000 house fires from 2009 to 2013, according to the National Fire Protection Association.
Most homes have at least one flammable liquid on the property, such as propane for the grill or gasoline for a lawn mower. Any flammable liquid should be stored in its original container outside and in a safe location.
A constant stream of blown fuses, resetting circuit breakers, or the lights dimming when the air conditioner turns on are common signs your home’s wiring is faulty. If your home is older, the wiring is likely older and unable to handle the demands of modern life. A licensed electrician can inspect the wiring and let you know of any issues with the wiring, possibly preventing the need for residential fire damage restoration.
A poorly installed light fixture can do more than just insufficiently illuminate a room. Hanging lights should be insulated if hung from wood paneling or ceiling joists. Moveable lighting, such as a floor lamp, should have a sturdy base which can’t be easily tipped or knocked over. Bulbs used in any lighting should always be the correct wattage for the specific lighting to reduce fire risk.
Children & Pets
Children and pets are often curious by nature, but if left alone around candles, open flames, and any other potential fire hazard, that curiosity can cause a disaster. Matches and lighters should be kept away from children. Also, teach children fire and/or flames are not a toy.
Call Maven Construction Group For Gainesville Fire Damage Remediation Services
A house fire is two-fold stressful and scary. If your home suffers a fire, Maven Construction Group will restore it to pre-fire condition through quality craftsmanship and a professional approach. Call us today to begin putting a house fire behind you.